The New York harbor is the heart of economic development of the city due to its privileged location.
Formerly located in lower Manhattan, port facilities are now mostly located in New Jersey, north of Staten Island.
Many historical sites, walking areas and green spaces are present around the port area:
- South Street Seaport
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
- Gateway National Recreation Area
- Statue of Liberty National Monument, Ellis Island and Liberty Island and Governor’s Island
- Hudson River Park, Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Liberty State Park and Terminal Communipaw
- Battery Park and Castle Clinton
- Hackensack Meadowlands, Riverwalk, and Environment Center
- Pier 63, New York Central Railroad Bridge Transfer 69th Street and 79th Street Boat Basin
- Gantry Plaza State Park
- Manhattan Waterfront Greenway
- Hoboken Terminal
- City Island